When you’re looking for a fun and relaxing way to ward off the winter chill and spend time with your loved ones, there is nothing like a hot tub. About 6 million Americans own a hot tub—whether it is connected to their inground pool or is a stand-alone unit. These toasty outdoor spas can create the perfect backdrop for a romantic night in, be a fun way to entertain guests, and even have numerous health benefits—such as stress and pain relief.
However, the key to getting the most out of your hot tub or spa is the correct maintenance. Many hot tub or spa owners don’t know how to properly maintain a hot tub. Failing to upkeep your hot tub properly can result in damage to the spa or even negative health consequences.
If you own a spa or hot tub, or are thinking about investing in one or adding one to your inground pool project in Georgetown, Texas, here are 7 important maintenance tips you shouldn’t ignore.
- Use a cover. It may seem obvious, but many hot tub owners fail to recognize the importance of utilizing a cover year-round. Hot tub covers prevent dust and debris from getting into the spa, thereby soiling the water and clogging the filter. It is also an important safety precaution to prevent small animals or even children from falling into the hot tub.
- Maintain the right chemical balance. To keep your hot tub water clean and safe, you’ll want to ensure you maintain the right balance of chemicals in the water. These include chemicals to balance the pH, sanitizer (like chlorine or bromine), shock, and defoamer. Utilizing hot tub pH strips and chemical test strips create a good way to tell if your hot tub chemicals are off balance.
- Clean or change your filter. Your hot tub filter will need to be cleaned or changed anywhere between every week and every season, depending on how often the spa is used. You can clean and reuse your filter by using a hot tub filter soak chemical and rinsing it thoroughly.
- Practice proper hygiene. It is a good idea to shower before and after using a hot tub. If you or your guests are using your spa wearing sunscreen, lotion, perfume, or are generally oily or dirty, it will decrease the water quality faster and require maintenance more often.
- Clean and drain the hot tub every 3-4 months. Regardless of how often you’re using your spa, it is a good idea to drain your hot tub every 3-4 months and give it a thorough cleaning before refilling. Chemicals, bacteria, scum, and debris can build up inside your tub, so regular cleaning is essential.
- Create a maintenance schedule. The easiest way to make sure you are maintaining your hot tub properly is to create a weekly, monthly, and seasonal maintenance schedule. By making a routine for your hot tub maintenance tasks, you will ensure to upkeep everything properly so that you don’t run into bigger issues down the road.
Austin Pool and Spa Builders is a leading pool construction company in Austin, TX. We’ve been in the construction industry for more than 15 years, building best outdoor kitchens, patios, and pools. Because we’re a local company with low overhead, we can generally beat national companies when it comes to pricing and find ways to save our customers money.